Are you wondering how to get ungated on Amazon to make potentially more sales? We have provided a comprehensive guide to help you through.
If you have a brilliant selling strategy that will drive more clients to Amazon, but you don't understand the restrictions on some categories, you are in the right place. The main question you may be asking yourself is, "How to get ungated on Amazon?".
Basically, Amazon has set rules for selling products for different restricted product categories, and it means you can sell anything if you are ungated. Amazon allows its users to have a great buying experience; therefore, an Amazon FBA seller needs the approval to sell or list their products on the site.
What Does Getting Ungated On Amazon Mean?
Over the years, Amazon sellers have come up with some vocabulary to help maneuver through the site. For example, gated product categories refer to a restricted category on the Amazon site. So, being ungrated means that you have been approved to sell in a certain category, subcategory or brand. Ungating and gating will apply for all amazon sellers for both Amazon FBA and Dropship Amazon.
Most sellers think the ungating process is lengthy and complex, so they get discouraged and sidestep it. The amazing thing is that most ungating processes are pretty straightforward, but you wil find some that may need a little more work. The great thing about getting ungated on Amazon is that you will boost or expand your selling possibilities. Again if you are approved to sell on Amazon, competition is less than selling in non-restricted categories.
Now that you understand what to get ungated on Amazon is, we will break down everything else you need to know about getting ungated. Let's get started!
How To Get Ungated On Amazon?
Seeking approval in multiple categories can differ, but there are some common steps that you may come across in different categories. Basically, to get ungated on amazon will only require you to follow the steps provided on the website. Here are the few sites that can get you started
1. Create a professional seller account
First of all, sign up for a professional selling account if you don't already have one. This allows you to become a professional amazon seller, meaning you can sell both unrestricted and restricted products. The professional selling plan is usually $39.99a month.
2. Know how you are fairing up on Amazon
You will need to go to the seller central account. Then go to the performance, customer satisfaction and then click on account health. This way, you will have a clear image of your Amazon account health.
3. Follow Category Instructions
Each product category comes with different requirements that you have to follow to sell on the site. First, you must go through the categories or brands you want to sell. For example, if you choose the fine arts category, you need to have a three-year of experience in the arts field and a functional site. Therefore you need to understand the category you choose.
4. Choose a wholesaler
You must choose wholesale products from a reliable supplier. You need a supplier that will be able to meet growing market demand. You will require to provide at least one product invoice, so you must purchase the items you intend to sell in the restricted product categories. Remember that the invoice should have tha same details as your seller account on Amazon Seller Central. Also, the invoices should be within three to six months.
5. Submit Invoices
You will then need to submit the invoice in its original state. Amazon is super strict about approving the seller accounts, so you mustn't fudge with the invoices.
6. Request Approval
Image credits: junglescout.com
The next step is to request approval for the application process. Here are the few steps you will require to follow:
- Click on the "Inventory" and click on "Add A Product."
- Search the product categories you are looking to sell
- Examine the search results and go to 'Listing Limitations Apply.'
- Then click on the Request Approval button to go ahead and submit the application.
You must try doing this process during US business hours. Also, if you receive any message from the amazon support team, you must reply and provide any additional information they request as soon as possible.
Which Categories on Amazon Are Restricted?
As mentioned earlier, each gated product category has a different ungating process. Therefore, before starting the process, you must look for a category that interests you. Remember, it is necessary to know the categories you have permission to sell.
Most popular categories are open, but you will find others that are restricted. For example, the open product categories do not need permission for you to sell products on the Amazon website. This is a perfect category for new sellers. So with an amazon seller account, you can sell products in open categories.
The gated product categories will require you to follow an approval process. Here are some of the gated or restricted categories and how you can ungate them in a few steps.
1. Ungating the Fine Art Category
The fine arts category is one of the classifications that amazon has gated, and it is exclusively meant for fine art dealers. So you will need at least 3 years of experience, a website registered on the brand name, and an active amazon account to get ungated on amazon as a seller.
2. Ungating the Grocery and Gourmet Foods Category
The other gated categories are the grocery and gourmet foods classes. This is one of the restricted categories that are super strict and will take longer to get approved, and fewer sellers meet the requirement of the product category.
For this one, you will need to: create an account with reliable distributors/wholesalers, meet the performance targets, establish a thriving order, scan the invoice and submit and complete the application process to get ungated on amazon on this category.
3. Ungating the Wine/Alcohol Category
If you wonder how to get ungated on amazon under this category, you will only need to follow the following steps. First, follow all the regulations under this category, be registered as a winery or an importer, and fulfill the shipping requirement.
4. Ungating the Watches Category
Another Amazon restricted categories are the watches seller category. This category is easy to get ungated on amazon, making it a great option for new sellers. Some of the requirements are: Test the watches for accuracy, have a UPC manufacturer's code, and meet the performance targets.
5. Ungating the Collectible Books Category
To ungate, the collectible books category is pretty easy and ideal for beginners. The requirements are: have collectible books, and list the book is the international standard book number
6. Ungating the textbook rentals toys Category
If you want to start selling products under the textbook rental toys category, there are a few guidelines you need to follow for this gated category. First, you will need to meet the required performance target, have an inventory source, and the estimated number of units you plan to sell.
7. Ungating the Kindle Accessories Category
The kindle accessory category is listed in amazon's restricted categories. You will need to comply with amazons device accessories' fair use and compatibility guidelines. You need to know that under this category, the amazon site wil take a 45 percent cut; therefore, you will need to be sure that you can handle the profit margins.
8. Ungating the Major Appliance Product Category
If you wonder how to get ungated on amazon for major appliances, you will only need to follow a few steps. Under this gated category, there are no strict policies, and you will only fill in a basic application form. You may need some documents to prove where you will source the appliances.
9. Ungating the Sexual Wellness Category
Sexual wellness categories are among the easiest to get approved gated categories. Under this category, you will not need any solid documents or proof to get ungated on amazon. You will only need to fill out a form and wait for amazon's ungating services to contact you.
10. Ungating the Automotive and Powersports Category
If you are interested in selling automotive and power sports products, getting ungated is pretty easy. You will need to have a website, compliant product images, UPCs, warranties and a review of the products.
11. Getting Ungated in the Entertainment Collectibles Category
Getting ungated in the entertainment collectible category will only need you to follow two steps. You will need to meet the performance targets and follow the listing requirements. However, you should know that you will not need to fill out the application form for this particular category but email Amazon at [email protected]
12. Ungating the Collectible Coins Category
These amazon gated categories are rather complex and require you to work more. They will come with several requirements, and most sellers will avoid them. But if you are interested in selling collectible coins, you will need to have a well-maintained membership with PNG, PCGS, ICTA and NGC/PMG.
Then you will need at least 70 percent of gained coins, have an anti-money laundering schedule and have a well-established company website. Ensure that you can provide Amazon with copies of these documents should they request them.
12. Getting Ungated in the Fine Jewelry Category
If you are interested in the jewelry industry and want to sell jewelry on the amazon website, you will need to get ungated. The category has very many restrictions, and it is one o the hardest category to get ungated.
To get ungated, you will need to: have an established business that generates around $50,000 annually meet the quality assurance standards of the amazon website. Then you will need to pay an entry fee of $5000, and you will need the order defect rate that is less than 1%. Also, the pre-fulfillment cancel rate should be less than 2.5 %
13. Ungating the Accessories, Clothes, and Luggage Category
The Accessories, Clothes, and Luggage Category is another category that is perfect for new sellers. For this category, you will need to fill out the application form and provide your retail store or e-commerce store details. The best part is this amazon accepts even new stores, so you can set up an eCommerce store and send your application.
14. Getting Ungated in the Toys and Games category
The toy and games category is another restricted category that is fairly easy to ungate. You will need to follow the holiday selling guidelines since they are intended to sell during the holiday season. Toy sellers will also need to meet the performance targets, and you need to ship a certain number of products to get ungated.
15. Ungating the Sports Collectibles Category
For selling the sports collectible category, you will need to meet the needed performance target and get your products authenticated. Then you will need to pay an entry fee of $5000, and you will need the order defect rate that is less than 1%. Also, the pre-fulfillment cancel rate should be less than 2.5 %
Tips to Boost The Chance of Getting Ungated on Amazon
As we mentioned, getting ungated to vend products can be strict, and you need to be very cautious. Here are some tips that will boost the chances of getting ungated.
- Provide your contact information: Giving your contact information while getting approved will allow amazon to reach you much easier. Also, you must provide your supplier's contact information to help give credibility, reliability and trustworthiness. For example, you could provide the email, anime and business cell number.
- Send an invoice: you must provide an invoice as proof of payment required in most Amazon ungated product categories.
- Do not use a formated invoice: Amazon is very strict about separating the honest and dishonest people who want to make sales. Therefore, they need you to send the invoice as it is unformatted. Therefore, it is advisable to send the invoice in PDF format.
- The address is also an important factor to pay attention to. Your shipping address and billing address should be the same to have a better chance of being ungrated on Amazon. Again the addresses need to match that of your amazon seller's account. Notably, you need to have up-to-date and accurate addresses.
- In most cases, you will not receive the reason as to why your application is declined; however, you could try a different amazon agent. If your application is denied, you can withdraw and reapply after a few days, trying a different amazon service agent.
- Have great performance merits. If you have a great reputation with your clients, you are at a higher chance of getting ungated on amazon, unlike someone with negative customer reviews.
- Pick reliable brands or companies. If you are selling products from a well-known brand or company, then there are high chances of getting ungated for the restricted categories of products.
- Pro amazon sellers will convert product categories of the item model number as ISBN, EAN, and UPC to ASIN. This way, it will make work easier for Amazon to reference all products, categories and brands.
- Complete the application process during US amazon business hours.
- Aim an amazon ungating services. Using the ungating service will ease the process, and you will have help from amazon service agents.
Frequently Asked Questions On How to Get Ungated on Amazon
1. Is It Worth It Getting Ungated on Amazon?
Of course, getting approved to sell restricted category products is worth it. First, you can sell products that most people have not been approved to sell. This way, you are guaranteed to make potentially more sales than those selling under the open or non-restricted categories. Again, you will make sales and money on Amazon without any issues.
Nevertheless, the process is pretty daunting, and you will need to do the process several times if you are selling products under different categories. Again the service is relatively expensive, but the price will vary based on the company you use.
2. What are new Amazon sellers allowed to sell?
New sellers can sell almost anything on Amazon, and you can choose products under any category. However, you need to get approved to start selling. Getting approved is quite a process, and you could choose to get product categories like clothes, handbags, appliances and automotive, which are abit easy to apply for.
3. How long does approval to sell on Amazon take?
In most cases, the approval press can take a few days or hours based on the category you will be mapping for. Products that have an easy application process will get approved faster than those like Jewelly, which will have a longer process.
4. Can I apply for un-gating again once my application form gets rejected?
Yes, it is possible to reapply again if your request gets rejected. A few days after rejection, you could withdraw your request and place it again. It is possible that you will get different amazon service agents and might get your application approved.
Image credits: makeuseof.com